The deadline for submissions for the 2024 Conference was September 12, 2023, but the form below is still open for suggestions. We will consider these proposals for year-round programming or for the next conference.
Our goal is to present conference programming that is relevant to and reflective of our members and the wider folk community. It can come in many formats: a solo presentation, a case study, a panel, an interview, a workshop, a master class, or a sing-a-long!
Our community includes artists, streaming services, festival owners, house concert presenters, venue programmers, distributors, publishers, labels, internet radio services, trade associations, nonprofit groups, brands, rights management companies, startups, performing rights organizations, artist managers; business managers, lawyers, alternative financing companies, live event companies and services, marketing & PR professionals, educators, activists, and many more.
The theme of the 2024 Folk Alliance International Conference is Alchemy: A Transformative Force. Why? Because music has the power to transform lives and change the world, just as the changing world is altering the way we make and share music. Transformation is both challenging and rewarding, and the theme of alchemy invites us to lean into the processes of experimentation, the joy of discovery, and the spark of creativity that lights the fires of change.
In this context, the conference programming will explore the idea of alchemy and transformation as it relates to:
- the power and impact of the creative process to provide the universal elixir
- new frontiers in technology to provide a path to transformation
- resilience and innovation in business
- the transformative force of cultural influence to effectuate meaningful change
- the undeniable chemistry between artist and audience
FAI welcomes creative ideas, important teachings, constructive strategies and innovative approaches to addressing topics that affect our music industry and community. Although we encourage you to be creative, please try to submit a proposal that falls within the programmatic categories listed on the form below.
Our panels generally feature 3-4 speakers.
We encourage you to submit topics that present a balanced perspective, ensuring that attendees understand the full spectrum of an issue and that key industry and/or community stakeholders are given a chance to weigh in on the discussion from their vantage point.
Please assure your submission has speakers reflect our rich and vibrant community reflecting FAI’s commitment to equitable representation for BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, and gender balance . Speakers should also be diverse in age, geographic location, areas of expertise, and ideologies. If balance and diversity are not achieved, FAI reserves the right to suggest/add participants to a discussion or alternative ideas and copy.
- Our goal is to notify the “accepted” proposers by mid-October.
- Programming should be completed including all panelist staffing by Friday, October 27, 2023, so that follow-up and marketing can commence.
- Presenters/panelists accepted from this program proposal process may receive a complimentary full registration to attend the FAI 2024 conference.
- For those chosen under this programming proposal process, FAI will not pay speakers any stipend or honoraria, nor provide travel expenses (airfare, hotel, etc.).
If you have questions regarding your submission or the guidelines outlined above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All contributions are appreciated and gratefully received. That being said, please note that we receive a high number of submissions, and although each is unique, some common themes are addressed by more than one submission. The selection process is guided by the overall program and each component panel’s fit. While we may not be able to present all suggested programming exactly as it has been envisioned, we look forward to activating as many ideas as we can appreciate your interest in helping us build community in this way.