Intimate Concerts in Hotel Bedrooms
FAI is one of the few music industry conferences that offers everyone in attendance the opportunity to present independent showcases and allows all artists to play self-presented sets for all attending industry representatives.
Private Showcases are not open to the public. You must register for the conference to perform or attend a Private Showcase. Artists are limited to six (6) Private Showcases.
COVID-19 protocols for Private Showcases will be finalized the weeks leading up to the conference to ensure the health and safety of our attendees. Registrants should expect to be required to wear a mask while on the Private Showcase floors. The only exception are artists while performing. There may also be limits to the number of people in a room and the number of showcase rooms available.
Hosting a Private Showcase Room
Private Showcases will take place on the 5th – 7th floors of Westin Crown Center Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri, primarily in guest rooms and suites. Each individual room is contracted out to a Private Showcase Presenter who in turn books and schedules performances of registered conference attendees. Anyone can apply to become a Private Showcase Presenter (examples: labels, organizations, agents, artists, etc). Applications are now open.
Presenters are required to book a room for a minimum of three nights in a regular guest room. Suite holders are required to book a room for four nights. If a suite holder wants to present for three nights, FAI will consider exceptions on a case by case basis based on a commitment to exhibiting, advertising, or sponsorship. Please contact our Private Showcase Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the process as a host.
Presenters must pay a US$125 (per room) Private Showcase hosting fee. FAI will reimburse the fee if an in-person conference cannot occur; otherwise the application fee is non-refundable. This fee is separate from the cost of the room, chair rental, bed removal, hospitality, and conference registration.
- Standard Guest Room (48 total, 5th-7th floor) – $163/night plus taxes & fees (current total $194.69) x 3 night minimum = $584.07
- Premium Rooms, Amplified (11 total, 5th-7th floor) – $163/night plus taxes & fees plus an administrative fee of $25/night (current total $194.69 + $25) x 3 night minimum = $659.07
- Executive Suites*, Amplified (six total, 5th floor) – $350/night x 4 night minimum = $1,400
- Two Room Suites*, Amplified (four total, 7th-8th floor) – $326/night plus taxes & fees (current total $389.38) x 4 night minimum = $1,557.52
- Three Room Suites*, Amplified (two total, 7th-8th floor) – $489/night plus taxes & fees (current total $584.07) x 4 night minimum = $2,336.28
*Suites are only available to presenters who have hosted a room in the past and are first offered to those who hosted the previous year. A waitlist is managed by the Private Showcase Coordinator.
Other Optional Fees
Bed Removal – $125 flat fee for each room
Chairs – $5/each chair
Performing in a Private Showcase
Private Showcases are late night events and take place Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm – 3am on 5th – 7th floors of the Westin Crown Center primarily in guest rooms and suites. Each conference attendee can grab a Pocket Guide that lists all Private Showcase performances or view the schedule on our conference app.
Private Showcases are acoustic (no amplification or sound systems in standard rooms, with limited sound in the suites and premium rooms) and run from 15-30 minutes depending on the presenter. Some presenters charge a nominal fee to help underwrite the costs of the room and hospitality. Average fees run between $20-$30 per slot. Many do not charge and some trade slots for performance slots in other rooms. Please contact our office at email@example.com if you have any questions about the process.
Tips for Getting a Private Showcase
- Research the Private Showcase Presenter list (updated weekly starting mid-September), find the host’s contact info using your internet prowess, and send a direct, personal email (not bulk!).
- Your personal email should be concise and include the same info as the forum post: link to video, short bio, and contact info. You should also include how many people are in your band, and your geographic location.
- Start early! Rooms fill up fast and any available space is filled quickly.
- NEW: you are limited to six Private Showcases over the four nights. It’s the artist’s responsibility to manage this number.
- FAI members are encouraged to post to the Private Showcase Forum. Your post should include a live video clip (of the act which will be performing at the conference), a short bio, and contact info. See sample post in the forum for instructions. Private Showcase Presenters receive a weekly digest of the forum to book acts for their rooms. The forum will open up in September.
FAI-Hosted Private Showcase Rooms
FAI hosts four different Private Showcase rooms: a First-Timers Room, an Indigenous Room, an International Room, and a Traditional Music Room. These rooms are on the Private Showcase floors and are available to any artist who is registered for the Folk Alliance International Conference. Placement is first-come, first-serve. Applications will open in early fall.