Folk Alliance International is very pleased to have volunteers commit their time to help make our conference a great success. Their efforts, and those of many, many others, are a part of a larger effort to achieve our mission which is: to nurture, engage and empower the international folk music community — traditional and contemporary, amateur and professional — through education, advocacy and performance.
As with any event of this scale, there must be guidelines to follow. Please read on for a summary of expected volunteer practices and behaviors at the conference.
You have the right to:
- A free conference registration
- A volunteer t-shirt
- Information about conference policies and procedures
- Recognition as a volunteer
- Appreciation for the contribution you make
We Expect You To:
- Adhere to this Code of Ethics
- Volunteer a minimum of 16 hours (FAI members) or 22 hours (non-members)
- Attend on-site volunteer orientation
- Be aware of the time commitment and responsibilities of your task(s) prior to accepting a role, and honor that commitment
- Be on time for all meetings and activities associated with your task(s)
- Inform your Crew Chief quickly if you are unable to meet any of your responsibilities
- Ask a Crew Chief if you don’t know the answer to a question, and report problems to any Crew Chief or Volunteer Coordinator
- Wear your conference t-shirt with pride during all your shifts. This identifies you as a volunteer and representative of FAI to delegates.
- Be courteous and helpful to anyone who needs your assistance
- Be a responsible and enthusiastic FAI ambassador
- Do not commit illegal, violent or unsafe acts
- Do not show up intoxicated to your volunteer shift
- Unfortunately, children are not allowed to accompany you during your shift
- Treat everyone at the conference, camp, and festival with respect. No abusive language.
- Keep confidential any information that FAI has entrusted to you
- Don’t transfer your wristband to anyone else