Who can volunteer?
Anyone over the age of 16 can volunteer at the conference. You do not need to be in the music industry to volunteer – a good portion of our volunteers are enthusiastic folk fans.
- Free conference registration
- Volunteer t-shirt
- Hospitality room*
* While we do our best to have food available, the amount of meals depends on how much food is donated. We aim to provide each volunteer 2 meals during the conference.
- Must be fully vaccinated as is required for all conference registrants.
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Work a minimum of 16 hours (members) or 22 hours (non-members) at the conference. Please note that there are a limited number of non-member volunteer positions available with priority given to members. Member applications will be approved starting in September whereas non-members approval starts in mid-November. Become a member of FAI here.
- Attend the on-site volunteer orientation
- Have a valid email address (no sharing of email addresses)
- Agree to the FAI Volunteer Code of Ethics
As a volunteer, you will be assigned to a specific team (security, production, runner, etc.) each with its own Crew Chief. Crew Chiefs are responsible for scheduling and training a specific volunteer area of the conference and they are also responsible for checking in with their volunteers throughout the conference to ensure that volunteers understand their assignment.
Volunteer teams include:
- Communications/Social Media
- Exhibit Hall
- Green Team
- Hospitality/Food Services
- Instrument Check
- Official Showcase Room Volunteer
- One-on-One Networking Sessions
- Panels/Daytime Programming
- Private Showcases
- Production Team
- Special Projects
- Volunteer Room
Virtual Volunteer Positions
If you’re interested in attending the virtual version of our hybrid conference only, we are looking in particular for volunteers skilled in the following areas: hosting/facilitating online meetings, troubleshooting online meeting issues, working with spreadsheets and database technologies to assist staff.
Virtual volunteers will receive a comp code for a free virtual registration.